Sunshine Canyon Landfill
Sunshine Canyon has served businesses and municipalities throughout Los Angeles County since 1958. The landfill handles approximately one-third of the daily waste of all of Los Angeles County and receives roughly 8,300 tons of waste per day, or more than 2.3 million tons annually. Located in the northwest region of the City of Los Angeles, Sunshine Canyon enables the City and County of Los Angeles to grow and prosper by providing safe and environmentally responsible waste disposal services.
Conservation, Sustainability, Eco-Focused
- 1,036 acres of property total at the landfill site; 363 acres are permitted for disposal.
- Over 20,000 Oak Trees have been grown on-site. Over 7,500 of those trees have been planted on the ridges and in open space surrounding Sunshine Canyon Landfill.
- The Oak Trees are donated to local parks, cities and community organizations.
- Over 1,200 acres of land were donated for open space and parks.
- A proactive and humanely managed bird control program is used at the Landfill.